Sunday 22 September 2013

Now for something small…


These are some of the 1/450th scale kits I have... 

A little update of what I have been doing! The cabin has been ordered and I am just awaiting a delivery date now. The garden has been cleared where its going and the base will be laid as soon as possible. We are busy looking at bathroom suites, we are doing the larger bathroom first to name a few things!

Over the last few months I have bought many kits. I want to be able to pick and chose what kits to use for whatever projects I have planned, I have well over 40 kits now. I know roughly what projects I want to resume work on immediately and what new projects to start on first too. Gosh, I do have a lot of kits, so I may not use/need all of the kits I own, so I will either sell the surplus as boxed kits or completed. :o)

I thought I’d show you some of the kits I have bought and started work on. 

I don’t just have 1/12th scale within my collection of kits (to complete), over the years I’ve collected a few 1/144th kits too. This year I saw the rising popularity and gradual availability of other scale kits. Over recent months I have bought 1/1000th (yes, you did read the former correctly! Lol), 1/450th and 1/48th scale kits, I have will be getting a 1/24th project under way too. 
This little 1/144th scale shop kit it will either go in my Nanny McPhee nursery or in my toy shop. This is the scale you use for 1/12th children (their toys etc).
I haven't completed the shop, I didn't get a chance to before I moved home. Here it is in dry build only.

In May I bought a retro caravan kit in 1/48th scale from the USA. I have been itching to start on it! I not only purchased the gorgeous kit, but the contents etc., kits too. I was surprised how tiny it was in real life! 

Instead on starting on the kit before I moved, I decided to source all of the necessary supplies to complete the kit! I normally use or substitute what supplies I have (when I complete a normal kit), but this kit was special in its completion and not particularly cheap, so I didn’t want to make a mess of it.  I decided to use what was recommended within the instructions. This is done with ease if you live in the US, but not so great if you don’t! Some items were not only extremely hard to find but mighty expensive to buy too! 

I don't have a proper area to work from at the moment...so its work on a large wooden tray for now! Not easy! lol  
My tiny retro caravan kit in 1/48th scale. I love it and it was an absolute must have for me!!!! 
The contents kit photo's.
Some of the supplies for the kit (some items I bought as extra's)...mini clamps, tiny clamps, teeny tiny clamps, YES! Paste, Sliver spray paint, Tacky Glue, Elmers glue, E6000 glue, ceramcoat varnish (matte and gloss), 3mm masking tape, wide masking tape, metal ruler, x-acto swivel blade craft knife, wire or plier cutters, to name a few things! :o) 
Here is the caravan kit as packaged...
 The interior or contents kit...there is one more kit, but more on that later!
The teeny tiny kitchen pots, pans and kettle! :O)
The exterior decoration sheet...
 The exterior is varnished with ceramcoat matte.
The interior decoration kit is also varnished with ceramcoat matte, well all but the floor which is varnished with ceramcoat gloss. 
After the two required coats.

Both sheets. The pieces now need to cut out from the sheets,,,steady hand required!! lol 
 However, the main wooden frame and other components first!   
I sorted out all of the parts that needed to be spray painted with silver. Some parts only needed the inside window frames covered, of course you just spray the whole thing for ease! 
Some pieces needed to be removed from the wooden mother-boards first though.
I kept the mother-boards so I could remember what piece was what. Some pieces were minute...namely the 2 door handles, sneeze and they were gone! One split horizontally so I made a new one from the same piece of mother-board it came from. :o) 
All the pieces needed to be placed on masking tape ready for spray painting...
Not quite there yet...better to build up the colour with several thin layers, than thick gloopy layers of paint.
I sprayed one of the three cardboard trims the wrong way around...can you see which piece? So I had to spray the other side!  Some of the teeny tiny pieces in a dish for safe keeping...still not finished.
A close up of them.

More soon, and when I get going I will change and update my blog better! No spare time as yet! lol  

I hope you don’t mind my ramblings and madness! :o))

Michelle xxxx 

16 comments:

  1. I'd be doing good a 1/12th scale! Looking forward to watching your progress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's tiny huh! lol I like them as they take up little room and perfect for a shelf. :o)

      Michelle :O)

      Delete
  2. ooo they are so tiny! so gorgeous though
    I have enough trouble with 1/12th scale with my fingers
    ill be watching you to see it all come together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel in love with it as soon as I saw it Deni! It's oh so tiny but perfectly formed! I just hope I can do the kit justice. I want it on its own special shelf in my Craft Cabin. ;O)

      Michelle :o))

      Delete
  3. Que bonitos kits has comprado!!! La escala es tan pequeña que se hacen adorables,la caravana es una maravilla,te ha quedado deliciosa!!!!
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't resist them at all! They are so dinky and sweet, but the winner is the retro caravan which I adore! I will buy more of her gorgeous kits....details of the supplier later! ;o))

      Michelle :o))

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. I'm getting there Ewa, slow but sure. The instructions are highly detailed, but missed one part out to be sprayed, so I had to back track before I can commence. ;o)

      Hugs!
      Michelle xxx

      Delete
  5. Glad your able to mini again, I love vintage trailers. I want a real life size one. lol

    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Jenn, It's been almost a year ago and I've had hard time not being able to do my mini's!

      I'd LOVE a real one too and a Silver Stream or whatever they're called, they cost a bomb in the UK as they are all imported from the USA.

      Michelle xx

      Delete
  6. As you know Michelle I have this kit on my wish list. Looking forward to seeing it progress. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh I wish you'd buy it soon Jain! It's gorgeous, my next post will advise you in advance of a pitful (I hope there isn't more) in the instructions. I wonder what colour you'll get!?

      Michelle xx

      Delete
  7. I love the teeny caravan. It comes with great things what a nice kit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it, but it is soooo tiny! lol Though the contents is an add on kit that you have to buy separately. It has a garden/landscape kit too that I have as well. :o))

      Michelle :o))

      Delete
  8. Nice to see you back mini-ing :) I absolutely love the trailer :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it's been such a long time. As soon as I started on something I had to stop. Now it's all systems go! My Craft Cabin will be delivered on Tuesday (1st October), so once that's up, I can unpack all my kits and mini's....after almost a year of being packed up. :o((

      Glad you love the little kit, it's so dinky! :O)

      Michelle :o))

      Delete